When it comes to revolutionary skincare products, you’ll be hard pressed to find a line of products as effective as those produced by Obagi. Numerous celebrities, respected skincare professionals and influencers alike have been embracing their bare skin whilst all the while crediting Obagi for this new-found confidence and the health and vibrancy of their skin. But what makes Obagi skincare so special? What does it contain that makes it highly effective? Below, we dive deep and answer your most asked questions surrounding Obagi.
What is Obagi?
Obagi is a leader in skincare. With a 30-year legacy deeply rooted in science and innovation, the company has made sure that their research results in transformative products that consistently meet the needs of every skin tone and type. Obagi aims to “correct” rather than “prevent” so that your skin can look and feel its very best. With their wide array of products to choose from whilst at the same time supporting diversity, Obagi prides itself on the development of scientifically backed, clinical-quality formulations that promote healthy skin.
The Obagi Transformation Systems
Obagi offers different systems that can completely transform problem skin and tackle a range of concerns, no matter what they are. Each of the Obagi systems aims to correct certain skin issues and it’s well worth getting to know which system will work best for your particular skin concern. We also list below which Obagi products are best for hyperpigmentation which is one of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to the Obagi system too.
• Obagi Nu-Derm System: this complete skincare system is specifically formulated for normal to dry skin and normal to oily skin. It is ideal for those who have age spots, rough skin, redness, sallowness and hyperpigmentation. This anti-ageing system helps in transforming your skin, revealing a healthier and younger looking complexion with regular use.
Each kit includes a cleanser or foaming gel, a toner, Clear, Exfoderm or Exforderm Forte, Blender, Obagi Hydrate and a Sun Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 50.
• Obagi360 System: this system is meant for younger patients that need a unique combination of highly effective ingredients that improves loss of radiance and promotes skin suppleness. It is ideal for those who have uneven skin texture, dry skin, a dull complexion, visibly large pores, and even early signs of skin ageing. It aims to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturise, protect and perfect your skin.
Each kit includes an exfoliating cleanser, retinol 0.5% and HydraFactor Broad Spectrum SPF 30.
• Obagi-C Rx System: this system has 4% hydroquinone that helps in making your skin softer, smoother and radiant. It also helps in reducing hyperpigmentation and other signs of ageing to keep the skin looking young and fresh. There are also key ingredients in this system that act as an exfoliator to support skin turnover through gentle exfoliation. It also contains 10% L-ascorbic acid that protects your skin from environmental stressors and free radicals. It caters to both normal to dry and normal to oily skin.
This kit includes C-Cleansing Gel, C-Clarifying Serum or C-Balancing Toner, C-Exfoliating Day Lotion, Sunshield Broad Spectrum SPF 50 and C-Therapy Night Cream.
• Obagi CLENZIderm M.D. System: this is a system made specifically for acne treatment. It helps in clearing active breakouts and prevents future breakouts. The products contain 5% benzoyl peroxide to target acne at the source and 2% salicylic acid.
This kit includes a Daily Care Foaming cleanser, Pore Therapy and Therapeutic Lotion.
Do you need a prescription for Obagi products?
For some Obagi products, the answer is, yes. Obagi skincare products mostly have a prescription-grade 4% hydroquinone which is only available through dermatologists and medical. It is also highly recommended that you only purchase your Obagi products through authorised platforms to ensure that what you are getting is genuine and safe for use.
Another reason why Obagi products are only for prescription use is due to the fact that it can be very easy to misdiagnose skincare issues. A professional skincare assessment is highly recommended so that your skin can be treated accurately and effectively.
How long does it take to see results from Obagi?
While results can vary depending on how your skin reacts to the treatment, there is a high percentage of regular Obagi users that claim that the Obagi transformation systems have significantly improved the way their skin looks. However, if you don’t see an improvement after 12 weeks of regular use, it is recommended that you seek further consultation from your skincare professional.
There are testimonials from Obagi users from as early as 2 weeks of use which state that they can see improvements in their skin. Such improvements followed the use of the Obagi Nu-Derm System which was referenced as fading melasma and “tough spots”. Some even stated that they were skeptical about using Obagi at first for fear that it might be just another hyped up product, only to see life changing results after regular use.
Can Obagi damage your skin?
This question is frequently asked because of Obagi’s medical grade strength and use of hydroquinone. While the use of this ingredient is generally safe for all skin types, some people who have dry and sensitive skin may react to certain percentages of this ingredient. This is why you need to talk to your dermatologist or physician before using any Obagi product that has active ingredients.
Hydroquinone is a skin bleaching agent that will not directly harm your skin, but not protecting your skin while you’re using this product might cause damage. Sun exposure can also reverse the effects of your treatment and possibly render the treatment useless.
However, for the most part when used as prescribed, hydroquinone is considered safe to use and there is no scientific and clinical evidence that points to it being harmful.
What are the best Obagi products?
Even though Obagi aims to simplify skincare by creating transformative systems, it is still easy for some to get confused by which products within the extensive range they should use. Here are a couple of the best and most-loved Obagi products of all time. Below we also identify what the difference between Obagi Hydrate and Hydrate Luxe is which is another frequently asked question we often receive when it comes to Obagi.
1. Obagi Professional C Serum (10%, 15%, and 20%): if you are experiencing premature signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles, this serum can help your skin look more youthful and glowing. It has a 10%, 15%, and 20% L-ascorbic acid concentration that penetrates down to the deeper layers of your skin to stimulate collagen production. Whilst its very simple to use, it provides outstanding results with regular usage.
2. Obagi Hydrate: this lightweight facial moisturiser can be used on all skin types. It’s not your average moisturiser because it also helps combat the signs of skin ageing whilst nourishing on a deeper level. It is non-irritating, non-sensitising and it has an allergy-tested formula that provides intense hydration. It’s also a best-seller because it is very easy to incorporate into your existing skincare routine. It offers a no fuss and a stand-alone product that you can use with other Obagi transformation systems without causing any ingredient reactions.
3. Obagi Hydrate Luxe: this product is another best-selling moisturiser from Obagi that is specifically engineered for overnight and extra-strength moisturisation. It is richer and balmier than the Obagi Hydrate and is considered a luxurious face cream that leaves your skin feeling supple and firm because of its natural ingredients like shea butter, mango butter, and avocado. It has a key ingredient called Hydromanil that provides immediate moisture but gradual moisture delivery by retaining water in the layers of your skin for up to 8 hours.
4. Obagi Matte Sun Shield SPF 50: your skincare isn’t complete if you don’t have a strong and reliable sun screen incorporated into your routine. If there’s anything that can age your skin faster, it is the constant and overexposure to the sun’s rays. The reason why this product is well-loved by Obagi skincare users is because of its lightweight formula that absorbs quickly and dries into a matte finish. It also defends your skin from the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays while helping your skin become brighter because of its vitamin C content. It is also non-greasy, PABA-free and fragrance-free that can be worn underneath makeup.
5. Obagi Retinol 1.0%: this product is the last, but certainly not the least effective step in the Obagi360 PM System. Compared to other retinols in the market, this Obagi Retinol doesn’t irritate despite its high-concentrate of retinol. It helps fight the signs of premature ageing that is caused by environmental stressors and free radicals. This product contains vitamin C that helps brighten and refine the skin’s texture. Not only that, but it also treats acne, increases epidermal skin turnover, and reduces hyperpigmentation.
Finding the perfect skincare for you should always be based on trial and error and your own personal experience. Listen to what your skin really needs and seek help from a skincare professional so that you can be introduced to the most effective Obagi solutions for your skin’s needs.