We all know that our skin ages as we progress through life, and most of us even have a good idea about the exact symptoms of this process as well. But exactly how does your skin age? What underlying considerations are actually causing this (very unwelcome) change in our complexion?
The development of aging skin comes about as a result of it losing its ability to renew itself. This loss stems from both the natural passage of time and also damaging factors like the sun. When the skin stops being renewed so effectively, it can manifest damage in a number of ways:
– The turnover of skin cells can become far more laborious, and this causes the surface – known as the Stratum Corneum – to become thicker than would be normal in younger skin. Because of this, the flow of moisture is restricted in the skin, and therefore it appears to be dry and uneven in terms of texture.
– The skin cells themselves are also affected in aging skin. They can become disorganised and misshapen, and heavy exposure to sunlight also causes the pigmentation of each cell to become much more intense. Naturally, this can result in blemishes like age spots or freckles, and can lead to a more uneven skin tone overall.
– Another problem that occurs within the skin due to aging is the loss of collagen and elastin. These properties imbue the skin with its natural elasticity, and their reduction brings forth a lack of resilience in our skin. This is usually noted by the presence of fine lines, wrinkles and sagging.
Of course, aging skin can come about as a result of poor skin care, not simply due to the passage of time, and so here at Skinstation we are here to help. Healthy skin is the exact opposite of damaged and aging skin, and is characterised by:
– Inversely to aging skin, healthy skin accelerates the renewal of skin cells. This means that dead skin cells are not pushed up to the surface, but are instead replaced by healthy equivalents that make the surface layers seem smoother and more attractive.
– More even pigmentation is a prime characteristic of healthy skin, and this results in aging spots and freckles largely being a thing of the past.
– As you might expect, healthy skin has an abundance of collagen and elastin, so the firmness and elasticity of the skin simply isn’t an issue.
We can only do so much to hold back the effects of time upon our skin, but we can certainly reduce its effects, and prevent our skin from becoming aged prematurely. If you’re looking for a skincare routine to combat aging then our Obagi range is a fantastic place to start. Don’t think this is the extent of our services though, as we can also help you to tackle other skin problems too. So, whether you are looking for a treatment to restore the youth of your skin, or would like to try out our revolutionary lustre acne treatment instead, we can always be of service. For more information, be sure to get in touch with us now!