Believe it or not, but summer is fast approaching and with the weather warming up it’s so tempting to go outside and bathe in all of the British sun’s glory! But you must remember to take care of your skin every day, whether you are sunbathing or not!
There will always be people that believe not using sun protection is actually good for you! These following excuses are popular examples, but how true are they?
- A little daily exposure to the sun is healthy
- A ‘base tan’ protects the skin from further sun damage
- It is needed to maintain a healthy level of vitamin D
But soaking up rays for any length of time can be very injurious to your skin.
‘What I’ve seen during years of skin exams says otherwise. Patient after patient, I see that the areas of skin that are exposed to the sun every day are thin, wrinkled, fragile, and mottled with sun spots.’
Dr. Cynthia Bailey
Top 5 Reasons
So, here are the top 5 reasons why sunscreen on a daily basis is important.
1. As the Ozone layer depletes, there are more harmful rays that your body needs protecting from.
2. The rate of skin cancer is growing, but sunscreen has been proven to decrease cancer developing.
3. It will prevent your skin from discolouring and developing brown spots.
4. It will reduce the appearance of red facial veins and blotches.
5. It will also slow down the development of thin and wrinkly skin.
If you’re still worrying that you aren’t going to get your recommended daily intake of vitamin D with all this sun protection, fear not. Most people achieve their daily intake (of 600 IU or 15 mcg) from daily outdoor activities in 5 – 30 minutes! Also a diet of vitamin D rich foods will also do the job, with foods such as fish or dairy being good sources.
If you wish to clear up your skin before you head out to bathe (safely!) in the rays, we stock the highly revered Lustre pure light facial treatment which has been proven to clear skin and reduce any forms of acne! If you would like any more information about skincare, please contact us on 01481 736699.