Before you can find products that work well for your skin, your first step is to gain a good understanding of what your skin actually needs. This often starts with determining your skin type. The Obagi product range is diverse enough to cater to a range of skin concerns, but without knowing what to tackle, with what active ingredients and why, you may feel overwhelmed with the options on offer. Whether you have sensitive, dry, combination, normal, or oily skin, it is highly recommended that you use skincare that is specifically geared towards providing solutions specifically designed for your skin type. Not doing so may otherwise render the products you use less effective. In this post, we’ll specifically talk about Obagi products in relation to combination skin.
The Obagi Nu-Derm
If you are seeking to transform the appearance of your skin, this Obagi product range offers an all-in-one effective solution which will garner real results, fast. The Obagi Nu-Derm system is a range that prides itself on addressing the signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles. It will also rejuvenate dull and sun-damaged skin and even treat acne and hyperpigmentation.
The Obagi Nu-Derm line comes with a cleanser, an exfoliant, a toner, and some prescription-only creams.
Understanding Your Combination Skin Type
Having combination skin can sometimes be a little difficult to discern. But what it essentially means is that some areas of your skin are dry, while some are oily. Confusing, right? Let’s simplify. Typically, it is the t-zone (forehead, nose and chin area) that’s oily, while the cheeks are somewhat dry. An oily t-zone can cause your skin to be acne-prone while having dry skin on the cheek area can at times cause the surface of your skin to look flaky and dull.
If you’re unsure about whether you have normal or combination skin, you can undertake a pretty simple test- a few minutes after washing your face, check to see what parts of your skin have turned oily or dry. Depending on the weather, your t-zone’s behavior may also change drastically from extremely oily to extremely dry.
Taking care of combination skin can be quite tricky if you don’t use the right products. It can even worsen your skin’s condition instead of helping it improve. Products that are meant for dry skin can make someone’s oily skin, oilier and possibly trigger breakouts. While products that are meant for oily skin won’t do any favours for hydrating someone’s dry skin either. So as you can see, if you don’t properly understand your skin type and its corresponding needs, finding the right products to nourish your skin can be a constant struggle. However, it’s not entirely impossible, all thanks to Obagi’s Nu-Derm System that has products geared towards all skin types.
But first and foremost, what are the characteristics that a product should have to work well with combination skin?
• It needs to be gentle and non-irritating. Since combination skin needs the Goldilocks treatment, i.e. a product that is ‘just right’, ensure that the products you use do not contain ingredients or properties that can possibly irritate the dry areas of your skin. Opt for products that are not over-drying but at the same time have mattifying characteristics.
• Can exfoliate to slough off dead skin cells. Both dry and oily skin needs exfoliation. This is why having combination skin requires you to at least exfoliate once or twice a week to get rid of unwanted build-up and dull skin. Exfoliating can also help in reducing the possibility of future breakouts that are caused by clogged pores.
• An oil-free moisturiser. No skin type is exempt from the need to use moisturiser- even oily or combination skin. All you have to do is find a moisturiser that hydrates without the use of oil so it doesn’t contribute to your already oily t-zone area.
• A broad-spectrum sunscreen. No matter what your skin type is, just like the use of a hydrating moisturiser, being generous with your sunscreen is also important. Don’t forget that a minimum of SPF15 is required for decent UVA and UVB protection.
• Gel-like consistency for the oily areas. Gels are easily absorbed and usually do not leave a sticky feeling to the skin.
• Creams for the dry areas. Creams work better for dry areas since they work as a better emollient in locking in moisture.
• Contains effective and active ingredients. Active ingredients play a big role in helping your skin rejuvenate and glow!
The Obagi Product Range for Combination Skin
Below are the products in Obagi’s Nu-Derm line that work well for combination skin:
• Obagi Gentle Cleanser – Suitable for normal, dry, sensitive and combination skin. This mild cleanser removes impurities and oil, leaving a clean, smooth and fresh looking complexion sans the dried out feeling. It hydrates and balances dry skin with its soothing and lightweight gel formula. It also has gentle ingredients like apricot kernel oil and glycerin that helps in keeping your skin clean and hydrated.
• Obagi Nu-Derm Hydrate – This is suitable for all skin types, including combination. It is a non-irritating, non-sensitising and allergy-tested formula. It can provide all-day moisturisation and at the same time combats visible signs of ageing. It leaves your skin plump, hydrated and healthy-looking.
The Obagi Hydrate is made from a revolutionary formulation and cutting-edge ingredients. One of its key components is hydromanil, an ingredient derived from tara seeds which helps the product function as an extreme hydrator. It also has naturally derived components such as shea butter, mango butter, and avocado that is completely hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic.
• Obagi Blend FX – This product is suitable for most skin types including combination skin. It is an antioxidant-packed and fast-absorbing formula that helps reduce the appearance of sun damage and hyperpigmentation. It is a professional-strength product that helps in exfoliation to promote faster cell-turnover. If you have dull skin, it can restore its radiance and prevent further damage. It aims to improve dark spots, melasma, and even acne and active breakouts.
It is an advanced combination of Arbutin, vitamin C, and Vitamin E that works together in revealing brighter, younger, and healthier looking skin upon regular use. It boasts unrivalled effects in terms of reducing hyperpigmentation and skin rejuvenation. The Obagi Blend FX also helps in reducing the melanin production on the skin while promoting collagen production for a firmer and more elastic skin. It is suitable for all skin types because it works gently on the skin while remaining effective.
• Obagi Hydrate Luxe – suitable for all skin types, including combination. It is an extra-strength moisturiser that’s specifically engineered for overnight hydration. It is a luxurious face cream that keeps the skin supple and firm because of its ingredients that work with the skin’s chronobiology to provide ultra-rich moisturisation. Like the Obagi’s other hydrate variation, it is packed with ingredients such as shea butter, mango butter, and avocado. The Obagi Hydrate Luxe also contains Biomimetic peptides that complement’s the skin’s nightly renewal and functions. It aids in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also has Hydromanil which provides continuous hydration that lasts for 8 hours.
• Obagi Matte Sun Shield SPF 50 – This highly effective SPF is suitable for all skin types, including combination skin. Just like the name suggests, it offers sun protection with its broad-spectrum coverage. It shields the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays caused by sun exposure. It also prevents premature ageing, burns and also helps to protect against skin cancer. It is non-greasy, PABA-free and fragrance free. It is quickly absorbed by the skin and it never leaves a sticky feeling. It dries into a beautiful matte finish too.
It’s safe to say that the Obagi Matte Sun Shield is more than just your average sunscreen. It contains vitamin C that helps in brightening dark spots and acne marks. It also helps rejuvenate your skin and reduce firmness with the help of ubiquinone, a free-radical neutralising compound.
• Obagi Tinted Sun Shield SPF 50 – It is suitable for all skin types, including combination. If you prefer tinted sunscreens that offer a natural coverage, this is your new favourite product in terms of providing your first line of defense against harmful UVA and UVB rays. It contains titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, monosalate and octinoxate which provides broad-spectrum protection. It is hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested and fragrance-free. It comes in a warm shade to those who have yellowish, golden and olive undertones and a cool shade to those who have bluish, red and pink undertones.
• Obagi Toner – It is suitable for most skin types, and know for working well with combination skin too. This revolutionary toner is one of the best-selling products from the Obagi Nu-Derm System line. It simply removes excess oil and dirt, while helping maintain the skin’s natural pH. It can also reduce visible signs of ageing, such as the appearance of dark spots, pores and wrinkles.
Best of all, the formulation of the Obagi toner does not dry the skin and with its witch hazel extract, sage, and calendula, helps soothe, tone and purify the skin after cleansing.
The Nu-Derm System is designed to prepare, correct, stimulate and look after your skin. The line aims to improve the function of three different cells; Melanocytes, Keratinocytes and Fibroblasts in order to reveal glowing and youthful skin underneath. All of Obagi’s products are clinically proven to provide fast, reliable and high quality results by eliminating the signs of ageing and providing solutions to your skin issues depending on your skin type.
While finding the right products to work well for your skin type does require some patience and experimentation, trying out Obagi’s Nu-Derm System is worth the investment if you experience combination skin.